Friday, February 10, 2006

The awesomeness that is Gorillaz

So I don't like watching the Grammys all that much anymore, but when I found out that Gorillaz would be doing the show's opening performance, I made a point to watch at least the beginning. I liked it a lot, though the CGI images threw me at first. I loved the animation from the Feel Good Inc. music video so much, and that high energy you get from their cartoon shorts and music vids was missing for some reason from the "live" performance. But the little details kept it great—Russel spinning the drumstick, Noodle wandering in and jumping on the stool, 2D on his phone, Murdoc's whole body language. The holograms were great; when Madonna went behind Murdock I was just blown away. But where did 2D go when Madonna showed up? Did he wander off the stage? Stupid telecast. I loved how the two songs of Feel Good Inc. and Hung Up merged together seamlessly; a very nice surprise. But was I the only one disappointed that the two groups didn't really perform together at all, as had been hyped? One just transitioned into the other, and I felt gypped as a result.

I would love to see Gorillaz live; I hope someday they come to my neck of the woods.

A clip of the performance can be found here, and more info on the Gorillaz here at their main site and a great bio here from their fansite. I'm going to post a permanent link to their Kong Studios flash site on my sidebar, because that is one of the funnest web diversions and best uses of flash ever. You could get lost at their studio for days, literally, and be amused the whole time. I especially love Noodle's room, the Mahjong game, the hidden areas, and the fact that they have a glider from Nausicaa in storage. Brilliant site.

I think the whole concept behind the Gorillaz is just fascinating, the idea of using a cartoon image exclusively to represent yourself to the public. I can be quite the recluse at times, and crave privacy, so the whole idea is very enticing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home