Friday, June 30, 2006

My Work :: Part 12: AngstyBishy Light


I have to tell you, I delayed sketching Light this week because I was nervous about how he would turn out. Obata is an amazing artist, and Light's character design intimidates me. But I think he turnes out pretty successful in spite of my fears, so I'm super happy today.

For the references, I used a mix of the manga in our possession and image-googled internet pics. I had done a quick comp sketch of him a couple of months ago, so I took that initial rought sketch and polished it up last night. I scanned him in and as usual, traced my lines in Illustrator with the pen tool.

Cake? No, because his hair took a lot of refining, but not as bad as the Sanzo AB by far. I stressed about his clothes, but since Obata used the beige-grey pants, white shirt, red tie ensemble in a couple of his color illustrations, I figured it would be the best outfit to go with. I was going to add belt loopholes and buckles originally, but they made it too busy so I just did a simple black belt. Same with writing Death Note on the book; just pretend he is holding it with the title facing in. And again, since I just reused parts from Touya and Howl (the entire bottom section and the sleeves, respectively), the rest of him excepting the hair was a cinch.

Man, he looks so cute! Each new one I make becomes my new fave for a time, but I think he will be at the top of my fave list for a long time. And since Light looks a lot like Gackt, any Gackt fans can pretend it is a chibi of him if they want to. (Except for the note being there, of course.) A lot of Gackt photos came up in my image search for some reason; man is that boy china-doll pretty! He's not my type but even I can see why he has a bunch of little fan girls running around.

I finally read up to chapter 104 in Deathnote! I have to wait for Elicia to download more, but MAN is it getting good! Light totally deserves to be an AB, as he's becoming so angsty it is scary. And funny. I don't know why but him losing his composure makes me laugh every time. And I'll try not to spoil anything, but I've heard positive rumors about L, which I so hope to be true! I tried to cheat and search online to find how the series ended, but no luck. I must be using the wrong keywords or something.

Anyway, I'm just glad to be back on a schedule again. Not sure what character I'll do next week, since there are a couple floating around the top of the list; I guess whichever comp sketch I like the best. And as always, requests by others for AB's are much loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home