Thursday, June 22, 2006

Woo Hoo! Death Note Slays Competition.

How thrilling to check out my movie news this morning, and learn that Death Note was #1 at the box office last weekend! (Article is also posted below.) And to hear that they are definitely developing an anime of it and a second live-action movie for fall makes my day!

Kudos to Yahoo! and Reuters, I didn't even know they cared about stuff like this. Though they imply in the article that Tsugumi Oba was the main draw, when for a lot of fans it was the gorgeous drawings by Obata that drew them (and me!) in. But oh well, I'm just happy that Americans are actually writing about the manga; it's a good start anyways.

I'm hoping this bodes well for a limited release of it subtitled in the US, so I have a chance to see it on the big screen. I just hope that Hollywood doesn't try to capitalize on it like they have with Japanese horror films, and do a silly version of it here. I just know that they would try to Americanize it, and change what was good about it, and if they ruined L, I would. . . well, the horrors that that would ensue for me are too great. Hollywood, here is my unsolicited advice: freakin' leave it alone!

If anyone knows where I can find the movie online, you would be my savior and I would send you cookies and apples. =) I'm just too impatient, and who knows how long it will take them to figure out what to do with its possible American theater and/or DVD release, if that even happens. (Thought they did release Kamikaze Girls here on DVD, so anything is possible.) But you bet that I would see it in theaters even if I'd already watched it 100 times at home. I would do anything to personally see a larger-than-life L, Light, Riku, and Misa on the big screen. Short of hopping on a plane to Tokyo, of course. =)

I've already posted links to the main movie site and other stuff in a previous post, but this time I will include a link to a Japanese movie site in English and IMDB's page about the Death Note movie (or rather, "Desu Noto.")

Interesting to learn that Dani California from the Chili Peppers is the movie's theme song; I saw a link to them at the main movie site and didn't get why theye were featured there. Makes sense now. Good to know they are manga fans too. =)

::

"Death" stills "Da Vinci" at Japanese box office
Thursday June 22 2:51 AM ET

A homegrown hit adapted from a manga comic has knocked "The Da Vinci Code" off the top spot at the Japanese box office.

"Death Note," which opened Saturday, grossed 475 million yen ($4.13 million) in its first two days and attracted audiences of more than 306,000 -- many of whom are fans of the manga that spawned the live-action film.

Starring Tatsuya Fujiwara ("Battle Royale"), a second movie in the series is scheduled to be released in November.


"One big reason for its success so far is because so many people who have enjoyed the manga are going to see the movie, although we were surprised to replace 'The Da Vinci Code' in the rankings," a representative for Warner Entertainment Japan KK said.

"We hope to build on this early success and appeal to perhaps more people who are not so familiar with the comic," she added.

The manga has generated a cult following since it first appeared in the December 2003 edition of Shukan Shonen Jump. Eleven books that bring together the 108 episodes have sold more than 11 million copies.

"Death Note" tells the story of a boy genius named Raito Yagami, who has the ability to kill anyone he wants simply by writing their name in a notebook.

The son of a police inspector, Yagami starts to kill death row inmates and other criminals he believes have gotten off lightly. The Japanese police and the FBI are called in to determine how the killings are taking place, and the story develops into a battle of wills between the lead investigator and Yagami.

The tale has attracted attention in manga-mad Japan because it was the debut work of a writer called Tsugumi Oba, whose true identity has been kept secret. It is not even known if the author is a man or a woman as Tsugumi can be used for either sex.

Nippon Television Network plans to make an animated version of the title for television, while Konica Minolta Digital Entertainment is prepping a video game to be released at the end of the year.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

::

I might pull AB out of a hat this week—this was the final week of a major work project that I've been working on for months, hence the craziness. But next week will definitely be back on schedule. I think in honor of Death Note's success I will move Light to the top of the list, so look for him soon.

In other news, my cat returned! He got out when I was watering plants, I think, and I was worried about him. Last time he walked all the way back to my mother's house across town, where he was living before we moved to my new place, so I thought he would do the same this time. But two nights ago, I heard a familiar meow and there he was on my front lawn! So he's completely adjusted to the condo and knows now it is home, thank goodness. Brat, making me worry about him like that. But I'm more relieved than upset.

Other good news: I finally figured out the name for one of my manga series! And Elicia greenlighted it, so it is good to go I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home