Friday, December 01, 2006

Bringin' Sexy Book: Obata's Masterpiece and my new #1 Object du Lust

In spite of my impulsivity, I try to be a rational creature. I find that the best way to curb my spending habits for my usual objects of lust (art books, home furnishings, manga, sushi) is to abstain totally (from the store, site, book section) or I will talk myself into buying things I desperately want but cannot afford. I know everyone does this, but when you have ADD like I do it is essential to resist the impulses as best you can.

Therefore, when I heard about Takeshi Obata releasing an art book earlier this year, I was extremely excited, but couldn't afford a new art book, so somehow I completely forgot about it and put it out of my mind until today, when I was hunting for reference pics for a DN fanart. I was like, "Hey, I think that art book of his should be out by now," so I googled it up.

HOLY ALL THAT IS HOLY. There are low end and high end art books, and Obata's is in the realm of the highest of the high. Gorgeous illustrations, well designed, and hugely thick. (Just how I lurv my coffee table books.) Just the book itself and the illustrations are gorgeous, but no, he also put out a limited edition Death Box, which comes with extra stuff. The figures and extra stuff, meh, those are nice but I'm not big into it, but the box is even more super since the book in it is even more fancy and special. (Yes, when I get excited my grammar suffers. Deal with it.)

Yeah, so now I am doubting my devotion to Obata since I didn't preorder this on the spot, and probably as a result will never be able to buy it. But it is a LOT of money, over $200, so I don't feel like such a tool for waiting so long but still feel crappy. And the art book itself is over $90, so I'm guessing the price tag will keep it from being nestled under my Christmas tree this year. (Leeshee loves me, but not THAT much.) So I will gaze at online images in rapt adoration until I make it mine one day.

Great scans of the book's illustrations can be found here and here, and the cover and spine here.

Speaking of Obata, does everyone know that he got arrested for possesion of a knife? Crazy. And again, I feel so out of the loop. I would curl up under my desk, except I have an annual report due which needs 4 extra pages designed and added to it STAT. So the licking of the wounds will have to wait till later.

::

AB out today! Soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home