Wednesday, September 13, 2006

You Think, Therefore YouTube: OK GO & Others

Another post I started compiling last week on the eighth and polished off today, about my current fave music videos on YouTube.

:: OK GO ::

I saw a viral vid of these guys a long time ago; I forgot their name and the name of the vid, but the image of their dancing, the brilliant choreography stuck with me, taunting me with a "where the CRAP did I see it?" regret. Only later do I learn that they performed on the VMA's with a brilliant new song-and-dance. Apparently one band member's sister designed the footwork for them. Below are clips of OK GO, organized by song:

:A Million Ways:
The first vid of them I saw. I've embedded it below as well. While the lead singer is by far the cutest, I am also crushing on the balding guy, he is my fave dancer of the bunch.



:Here It Goes Again (Treadmill Song):
This is the song they performed at the VMA's. Here is Jack Black and what's-his-rapper introducing the group, the group's performance, and some YouTuber's response to the performance. People are giving them crap as a one hit wonder, since their choreography is what is getting them press, but their music is realy good and speaks for itself, as shown from their stint on Letterman. I love their sound, and they have an electric stage presence.

:Do What You Want:
They have done an actual music video as well, and I love the camera work on it. The multi-cameras gets a little tedious after a while, but would be brilliant in a 30 second commercial (which I am sure some company, perhaps Target or Coke, is ripping off as we speak.) Apparently one of the YouTubers worked on the vid and this is what he had to say:
"This video was directed by Olivier Gondry using stop-motion between cameras (22 cameras, I believe). I worked on this video during the summer of 2005 during my internship with Partizan in Los Angeles. I casted the extras, delt with the unruly ones, attached many cameras to many tripod heads, and ate some nuts from craft services. This shoot and the week leading up to it was one of the greatest and most fondly remembered weeks in my entire life."

And now, some other vids old and new that I like:

:: Gnarls Barkley ::

I cannot get enough of these guys lately; the only thing I hate is that for some reason, everyone else, even mindles popsters, like them too. Gah, I hate when things I like get trendy! Ah well, the Gnarls is worth the hype. Danger Mouse is unstoppable right now, no? Anyway, their vids are great, and their mod MoTown sound is fab.

:Crazy:
A Rohrsharch test on an acid trip. Just brilliant and truly beautiful. Vid is embedded below.



:Smiley Faces:
They did two vids of this. I like the second one done documentary style the best, very Forrest Gump-esque; though the first one is also intriguing, if only for its raunchy take on emoticons.

:: Bennie K ::

I just love this music video for "Sunrise," the style of it is so great that I am sure it will also get ripped off soon, probably by an up-and-coming director of a pop/rap video. Oh well, at least I will know the truth. And the ending reveals what realy happened to the characters on Lost! Vid also embedded below.



:: Gackt ::

Oh Gackt, you crazy, bishie-pretty man-doll. The music vid for Vanilla is great, but what is with the nutty candy commercial?

::

That's all for now. But guess what, I am blogging on "The LiveJournal" now with all the other crazy kids. (http://reezoo.livejournal.com/) Plus I got an AB of Soi Fon sketched and ready to scan! And got a major project off to the printer's yesterday. So a good, good week this is shaping out to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home