Friday, September 22, 2006

My Work :: Part 17: AngstyBishy Juri


A lot of characters from Revolutionary Girl Utena are angsty in some form or another, but Juri (Jury, Julie) Arisugawa is by far the most poster child-y of the bunch. She is not mean and vindictive like some of the others, just full of rage and torment, which is how I like my bishies. Is there anything angstier than unrequited lesbian love? Probably, but she makes a good case to the contrary.

I have not seen the entire Utena series, only a dozen of the anime eps and the trippy movie, so was surprised in my research to find pics of her snogging with blue cruel-looking men. Who are these guys, and are they helping her become unangsty and whole again? Was so confused, so def will have to borrow the series from a friend and finish it, at least to get my questions answered.

I had to redo my first drawing of Juri because of the ringlets. Her ringlets are very stylistic and complicated, and I was using the mange as a reference, which was not working out at all. She kept looking like Shirley Temple, gah. But finally I did proper research and found great pics on the web of Juri in anime mode, which is how I first saw her and looks tons better. So the second time was the charm. Just kept widening and tweaking the ringlets 'till I was satisfied.

Usually my reference drawings are scattered all over the web, but this time I found one good site and stayed put. They have wallpapers, manga scans, anime/movie stills, doujinshi scans, the works, all on Juri. And not just thumbnails either, pretty good-sized images, so if you are a Juri fan check them out. The site is in French, but that is not necessary to snag the pics.

And in case anyone cares, the best Soi Fon references were from an image I found (can't find the link anymore but it is to the right) and music vids on YouTube, which showed her shoes and other clothing details usually hidden on posters. It was hard to find good images, mostly I think because I do not belong to any Bleach groups and because few people have probably gotten that far in the anime. But I did want to spread the wealth around if it would be possibly helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home